Monday, May 17, 2010

I Choose Vogue Over Dinner...

It was that time of the month again, when I was in my local Giant with a May Vogue in one hand and a shrimp salad in the other.  The previous weekend had been a friends 21st birthday party, so I had bought her an expensive piece of jewelry and naturally had to buy myself a little something too.  I was a little short on cash....OK, a lot short on cash.  I knew that there could be no extra spending on frivolous things such as jewelry and clothes.  This week, money was to be spent on food and toilet paper only.  Which leads me back to my moment in the Giant.  Benefits of buying the meal: not being hungry, saving a tree, and increasing amount of study time by not reading a 265 page magazine.  Benefits of buying Vogue: IT'S VOGUE!  Case closed.  I put my sad looking salad back onto the shelf and skipped my way to the counter with my May Vogue!  Since then, I've read it front to back at least six times, and I am prepared to present my review. 

There are only three people in the world I would probably die of excitement if I met in person.  One of these fine people is Miss Sarah Jessica Parker.  So, as you can imagine, I practically passed-out when I discovered she would be on the cover of the May edition.  Her interview (by Vicki Woods) was endearing.  Parker told of her regrets about leaving her children to shoot SATC2 in Morocco.  She also talked about fashion, traveling, and the movie.  In the article she came across as chic, kind, and very sincere.  She modestly dismissed being a worldwide icon, even though I think most would agree she is!  Her photo-shoot was equally as intriguing, with deep satin red and brown dresses.  She looked stunning in each outfit, in particular a dusty-rose Lavin gown with architectural fit and cinched waist.  Hats were featured in three of the five photos, a clear sign hats will be huge in Fall/Winter '11.  Taylor Swift was given a double paged spread this month, which I was extremely surprised at.  The article was well written, and you could definitely sense a more progressive, mature side of Swift, which fits the magazine better.  The hook in this issue was 'Great American Women'.  This included stories of doctors, athletes, New York charity workers, mothers, and soldiers. 
Notable shoots include 'Lady Day' and 'American's in Paris.'  The latter was a shoot in Paris with consistent themes of cotton, brown, navy, skinny belts, and rectangular large bags.  It reminded me of a shoot done by Glamor this time last year, only the clothes were more chic and the locations less commercial.  Once again, Anna produced an incredible piece of artwork, and I can tell this will be a favorite for a while to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment